Welcome to our SKE course at The Polesworth School.
The course is run by science teachers who are subject specialists and who have experience teaching across the full age range of Years 7 to 13.
We aim to deliver a programme which will:
- refresh and enhance your skills at GCSE and A Level
- work through challenging questions
- direct you to further examples to practice
- include lesson observations (optional)
The course is flexible and is designed to fit around your lifestyle. You may choose to spend some time in school and work alongside us, or alternatively you can do all your studying at home.
The structure for the Chemistry, Physics and Biology course content is similar across all the disciplines:
- Health and Safety task – internet based
- KS3 National Curriculum Chemistry, Biology, Physics as separate units
- KS4 National Curriculum Chemistry, Biology, Physics as separate units
- KS5 A Level Biology, Chemistry Physics
Courses are from 8 to 32 weeks depending on your specific needs. Throughout your time with us you will receive continued support from our dedicated staff members as well as through the way in which your course is structured. Working with us you will benefit from:
- GCSE Revision guides and work books
- AS Level student text book
- Learning statements linked to websites and self-assessment exam style questions with answers at all Key Stages
- Recommended websites, magazines and wider reading list
- Observation of teaching at all Key Stages
- Tutoring time with experienced teaching staff either face to face or through email
- Written feedback on all written assessments submitted
All courses are assessed through written papers which are marked and returned to you with written feedback:
- KS3 and KS4 Biology, Chemistry, Physics written exam style questions covering all topic areas
- KS5 AS Biology, Chemistry, Physics examination papers for the new specification
- Candidates should aim to complete 90% of written assessment questions correctly to be credited with the unit.
The Health and Safety task is compulsory across all the science subjects. In addition to this, candidates can choose to study any combination of the units offered according to their own personal requirements. Completed units will be recorded on the certificate issued on successful completion of the SKE course.
I am glad I completed the subject knowledge enhancement with Polesworth, as I had been away from my studies for a few years and felt I needed to touch up on my knowledge. Polesworth gave me the support I needed and the preparation to succeed.
The SKE course at The Polesworth School is not just about updating your subject knowledge, you’ll learn how to teach your subject. Most of all, you’ll receive loads of invaluable resources plus the staff are very thoughtful and helpful.